UK architects and construction professionals benefit from launch of enhanced construction details for EPS insulation
The UK EPS (expanded polystyrene) industry has launched a comprehensive set of enhanced construction details which have been endorsed by the Energy Saving Trust and developed with the support of BRE.
The EST enhanced details are now becoming available from accredited EPS group members listed on the group’s web site and are designed to ensure building professionals are able to achieve the highest levels of insulation performance as well as full compliance with Building Regulations when specifying EPS insulation in masonry build projects.
“Studies of the earliest EPS installations show that it is just as strong and effective today as when it was first used. It is the closest of any modern building materials to fulfilling the 60 year life set as a performance target by the UK Building Regulations.”
Chairman, EPS Group
David Emes, Chairman of the EPS Group, which represents 70% of the industry in the UK, said, “This launch comes after more than a year of working alongside the Energy Saving Trust and BRE to create construction details specifically tailored to EPS applications. The details cover standard white EPS and the enhanced thermal conductivity grade – known as grey EPS – which uses advanced graphite formulations to give outstanding thermal bridging performance.”
The details give architects, building design and construction companies the guidance needed to determine optimum installation and thickness specifications to achieve the highest insulation levels.
Stephen Passmore of the Energy Saving Trust said, “EPS is a long-established, high-performance insulating material. This comprehensive set of enhanced details is an important contribution towards helping UK construction projects achieve even higher levels of thermal resistance in building design and construction. The CO2; savings are potentially substantial.”
BRE’s Oliver Novakovic (Director Housing Futures) supported the launch, “The EPS group have shown leadership and taken responsibility around thermal bridging in developing these details. We urge architects and constructors to utilise these construction details not least because they offer a safe route to regulatory compliance.”
The EPS enhanced details are being promoted across the UK in a campaign aimed at UK architectural practices, local authority property professionals and construction company specifiers. They complement a series of technical briefings and a 20 page specifier guide on EPS relating to sustainability and durability across a wide range of applications from floor, wall and roofing insulation to sub-structures and void fill for civil engineering projects, foundation systems and clay heave protection.
David Emes said, “EPS has been in use for more than half a century and received BBA approval thirty four years ago. Studies of the earliest EPS installations show that it is just as strong and effective today as when it was first used. It is the closest of any modern building materials to fulfilling the 60 year life set as a performance target by the UK Building Regulations.”
News of the launch was also welcomed by architects, “The EPS / Energy Saving Trust enhanced construction details demonstrate how thermal bridging can be reduced, thermal performance improved and good standards of long term air-tightness can be achieved,” said Mark Siddall, Sustainability Champion at Devereux Architects.
- Airpop insulated floors promise comfort and reduced home heating bills
- Thunderbirds are go!
- New video shows big advantages of airpop ‘Blown Bead’ Insulation
- An ace idea – with the potential to solve the world’s housing shortage
- Award-winning garden at Chelsea Flower Show features airpop
- External wall insulation using airpop
- Floating the idea of a perfect solution for houseboat hulls
- The twenty mile high ‘sky pod’ gives view of life on Earth
- Busy bees get 21st Century ‘prefab’ homes
- UK’s top manufacturers and producers of EPS adopt new airpop® brand
- Polystyrene station platforms slash construction time
- UK’s Top Manufacturers and Producers of EPS Sign Code of Practice
- Tried and tested global solution that’s just 98% air
- A day in the life of a fish box – The Movie
- Polystyrene fish box production expands to meet increased demand
- New web site is much more than 98% air
- Studies show that polystyrene is protecting Britain’s fishing industry
- Enhanced construction details for EPS insulation launched
More news items