New video shows big advantages of airpop ‘Blown Bead’ Insulation in new build properties
A new six-minute video from the NBBA (National Blown Bead Association) demonstrates the clear advantages of airpop® over traditional mineral fibre cavity insulation for all types of new build properties.
The video, above, was shot on real residential building sites in England and Northern Ireland states that the speed, simplicity and long-term effectiveness of blowing airpop® (expanded polystyrene) beads into cavity walls enables building and construction companies to achieve lamda values which are superior to other insulation – allowing Part L of Building Regulations to be easily met or exceeded. The video also shows how the compact, on-site installation process carried out by an NBBA member ensures fast coverage in all areas of the most complex cavities and can easily be scheduled so as not to interfere with other trades on site.
According to the video, produced by the EPS group of the British Plastics Federation (BPF), airpop® is a ‘best in class’ insulation material which offers long-term performance because it also overcomes problems of settlement encountered with lesser materials.
Fast, highly efficient cavity insulation using blown bead for new properties
The unique nature of the fast-flowing beads mean they fill from the smallest to the widest cavities as well as reaching complex internal geometries which demand extreme, high insulation performance. A special test rig in the video is used to show that the beads flow at high speed like liquid into every part of the cavity. They also seek out the all the gaps and imperfections in the cavity. In minutes, every void around services, joists, conduits, doors, windows and other internal structures is completely filled with millions of beads to ensure there are no cold spots. After each cavity is filled, the beads settle immediately and become bonded together to form a virtual solid layer of insulation which is stable – yet allows the cavity to breathe as intended.
The video also tackles the issue of water ingress which can cause damp problems over time when moisture is trapped liked a sponge in fibrous materials. It graphically shows the millions of tiny spheres allowing the safe and effective dispersal of any moisture rapidly to the ground rather than creeping laterally to inner walls.
Beads flow effectively into every part of the cavity
Blown bead insulation requires smaller and fewer drill holes in the internal walls of the property. These are made directly into the cavity before the walls are finished and plastered. There is also none of the residual scrap left behind by other systems – so airpop® bead eliminates waste and the cost of waste.
NBBA expert installers use specialist equipment which is completely self-contained and can be used in all site conditions. They also give the backing of BBA approved certification. Airpop® is 98% air captured during manufacture in a polystyrene matrix. For technical information about airpop engineered air and to learn more about NBBA and its member companies visit www.nbba.org.uk
- Airpop insulated floors promise comfort and reduced home heating bills
- Thunderbirds are go!
- New video shows big advantages of airpop ‘Blown Bead’ Insulation
- An ace idea – with the potential to solve the world’s housing shortage
- Award-winning garden at Chelsea Flower Show features airpop
- External wall insulation using airpop
- Floating the idea of a perfect solution for houseboat hulls
- The twenty mile high ‘sky pod’ gives view of life on Earth
- Busy bees get 21st Century ‘prefab’ homes
- UK’s top manufacturers and producers of EPS adopt new airpop® brand
- Polystyrene station platforms slash construction time
- UK’s Top Manufacturers and Producers of EPS Sign Code of Practice
- Tried and tested global solution that’s just 98% air
- A day in the life of a fish box – The Movie
- Polystyrene fish box production expands to meet increased demand
- New web site is much more than 98% air
- Studies show that polystyrene is protecting Britain’s fishing industry
- Enhanced construction details for EPS insulation launched
More news items